Laxton Castle in January 2006.
For many years it was characterised by a leaning tree, which was removed
for safety reasons in November 2005
One of the most visited
features of the Laxton landscape is its motte and bailey castle, which
stands to the north of the village. It is a feature of interest to a
wide range of people from tourists to scholars and has been the subject
of much research.
The summit of
the castle affords panoramic views of the open fields, the surrounding
woods and villages and as far afield as Lincoln cathedral and features
in most tours of the village. It is believed to have been added after
the original construction as a viewing platform.
The castle consists of an inner and
outer bailey, which were secure areas surrounded by stockade fencing.
Simple dwellings were constructed in this area where the livestock was
also kept. The inner area was cultivated in small plots which provided
food for the community. Another source of food was fish and below the
castle to the north west the remains of fish ponds can be seen. The
motte was the most secure part of the construction with a tower
occupying the highest point. The Lord of the Manor resided in this area.
The three gabled manor house was built
in the inner bailey after the decline of the castle as a defensive
structure. The 1635 map by Mark Pierce shows dovecotes, brew houses and
orchards in the same area.